Training on how to use the DAWN Method® of dementia care is available as an online course (or privately; see options below).
How is DAWN dementia training different?
The medical-model of dementia care in our culture today is largely built on a model of “fix the patient”, yet we know there is no “fix” for dementia. What if we re-thought our model? What if we focused on what people experiencing dementia CAN do, instead of what they cannot?
Understanding the emotional needs caused by dementia
Although our loved ones with dementia are not able to recall, interpret or express ideas regarding their experiences, they are still having experiences. Their experiences will be causing them pain and relief, happiness and sadness, fear and anger—just like ours cause us.
Understanding the emotional needs caused by dementia & Alzheimer’s disease is at the core of DAWN dementia care training. When people are supported emotionally, they are more at ease and there is less conflict between those experiencing dementia and their caregivers.
You will learn how to:
- Understand why the new person-centered care is so effective
- Manage interactions so that your loved one can stay relaxed and enjoy the present
- Capitalize on the thinking skills your loved one will NOT lose
- Maximize your loved one’s level of functioning
Dementia training online for everyone on your care team
Strength-based dementia care works best when everyone in your loved one’s life is using the same approach. The DAWN HomeCare Dementia Training for Families and their Caregivers course provides a series of 10 to 20 minute training videos, each presenting a specific step in providing strength-based, person-centered dementia care.
With just one membership, provide dementia care training online for everyone in your loved one’s family and the entire care team.
How the course membership works:
- You purchase one membership
- If you have an in-home caregiver or another family member helping you, you can add/invite them (up to 5 other people) to your team
- Each person has their own login to access the dementia video course on their own computer/time
- You can add/remove people from your team as needed